I love to eat fish. Grilled, crumbed, steam, i love it all. I used to think that i can have fish everyday. Now, thats an ignorant thought. There are so many fishes facing the fate of extinction because of fish lovers like me. Why? the process goes like this;
- fish really taste that yummy that me and many others want to have it almost any other day
- demand of fish increase
- in a capitalist society where money matters, everybody flocked into fishing business to have a slice of the profit
- your neighbour or uncle’s friend could be a wholesaler in your country
- these wholesalers need to find the cheapest and best quality source of fish
- fertile fishing ground that used to be the ground of the locals are now invaded by foreigners or foreign hired fishermen
- fishes reproduction cannot catch up the fishing rate
- fishermen get desperate and slit the bellies of the female fishes to get the foetuses out which could very well be next year’s catch
- competition between local and foreign fishermen increase
- the rich and powerful foreign countries would then buy ‘RIGHTS’ to fish on those ground
- the poor but fertile countries cannot resist the offer because they are usually heavily indebted
- fishing continues; fishes continues to face extinction; poor continues to face unfair competition; rich continues to do whatever they want which makes them still rich or richer
If it sounds anywhere familiar, because it’s an example between the European Union (EU) and some African countries like Mauritania or Senegal. I heard of developed countries taking over developing countries’ assets like oil, river, rainforest, and now FISHING GROUND. Seriously, it is not a big news anywhere, but its a BIG DEAL, isn’t it? the fishing ground can be the lifetime career for the many local fisherman there. just as we dream of BMW, they dream of having a full meal everyday. Well, since now the situation is very unfavourable with less fishes around to continue their survival, they save extremely hard to take a ship out as refugee. As on whether they had been able to reach a good country (as in capitalist perspective) or able to get a residential rights, both you and I won’t know.
Now, is it a sin to eat fish? I seriously hope the answer is no.